|DevOps is the union of people, process, and products to enable continuous delivery of value to end users.|
Indeed, DevOps is a set of practices that combines software development (Dev) and IT operations (Ops). It aims to shorten the systems development life cycle and provide continuous delivery with high software quality.
DevOps is complementary with Agile software development; several DevOps aspects came from the Agile methodology*.
- Software Development (Dev) is the process of transforming customer requirements into a complete software product.
- IT operations (Ops) is the process of managing an IT infrastructures: compute, network, storage, ..., etc.
- Systems development life cycle: Requirements, Design, Implementation, Verification, and Maintenance.
- The 3 major Software Development methodologies: Waterfall, Agile, and Lean.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) cycle:
- Example of DevOps tools:
* Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DevOps